Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Second Cold War

Semyon Varlamov, stud rookie goalie for the Washington Capitals, has been on my shitlist for about a week now. He was pretty high on a few of my lists: Favorite Rookies, Favorite Goalies, Favorite Russian Beefcakes...you get the idea. I even learned how to pronounce the kids name correctly when the Versus guys (...shudder...) couldn't be bothered!
I'm big into Twitter, and I follow NHLSnipers.com. When they posted this article, I was floored. Now, I know Ovechkin's said things about liking Russian women better, and I think that's pretty understandable. He never actually insulted American women - the ones who basically pay his salary and buy his jerseys - like Varlamov had.

In the article, Varlamov had this to say:
Have any personal admirers emerged?

“I have a true love, so I don’t look at any other women. You know, I’m extremely fortunate that I met a Russian girl in America. It’s difficult to look at a lot of the local women. You get the feeling that just don’t take care of themselves! There are an awful lot of heavyset ones. But Russian girls have nice trim figures. I couldn’t imagine myself being with an American girl.”
Oh my. Now, I don't believe myself to be a huge feminist, and I can roll with the punches. I can deal with the crap most men (and some women) give female sports fans. I can deal with the claims of "Oh, you must just want to find a rich husband." I can take that. What I can't take is some foreign punk rookie bashing American women, the same women who, like Ovechkin, pay his salary and buy his jerseys! I don't get it. I think it's totally okay for him to prefer Russian women over American women - if that's his thing, so be it. Good for him. There's no reason to say us American women are fat and none of us take care of ourselves! That's just a terrible generalization and a bold-faced lie! Apparently we're not good enough for him, but the success, fame, and money that our country offers him in the NHL is good enough! I'm 5' 9" and 110lbs., but this is so offensive on every level; it is so beyond the physical. I'm sure not every woman in Russia is a 5'10", 100lb goddess who does nothing but go to the gym. I'm sure those types exist there, just as they do here, but that's not the entire female population of the country.
I really liked the kid, and respected him.
I think I'm a bit more annoyed at him over this than I would be at someone like Ovechkin. I feel like Ovechkin is at least more established and has more influence, or something, I just don't know how to say it, but this kid - this kid, to me, is nothing but a little, immature boy. I just don't get how you can think this wouldn't get back to American fans? Granted I am sure there are more male fans than female but newsflash - we do exist!! Even if he'd lied and said "American girls are cool," fine with me. Everyone expects these guys to say the PC thing. Even if he did solely like Russian girls, just lie.
Don't make me have to cross you off all my lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment